Pages

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Joining the party...My Advice Linky

I am joining a wonderful linky that is just starting.  I am still what some would consider new, because I have only been teaching for 5 years.  I feel much less new than I seem! :) I hope this advice is helpful.

1. Embrace the unique and somewhat challenging qualities in your students.
 *I find myself so much happier when I let me students use their need for talking and moving to my advantage, instead of insisting they sit still and quiet.  They are not capable of doing that, as often as most teachers like.  I give my students opportunities to relieve their need for speech and motion in so many ways.  They work harder and stay focused when I give them these opportunities.

2. It's okay to scrap ideas. Even the great ones.  I have learned that what works in one classroom does not always translate well in another.  It is okay to take a wonderful idea and put it on the back burner or even scrap it all together if it is not working.  Yes, it could be a great idea, but if it does not fit the needs of your class you will only end up frustrated and wishing things were different.

3. Take time for you.  It is okay to take time during planning or even throughout the day to sit and reflect on the day and yourself.  Staying in a positive mindset and allowing yourself time to rewind, unwind or rethink can save the day and help you be PROACTIVE instead of REACTIVE.

4.  Make someone smile.  I love writing sweet notes to the lunch ladies.  It gives me so much joy to see the look on their faces as my class enters the lunch room. They feel special, and all it took was a few kind words.

I hope that your year is going delightfully and that as it winds down you embrace your students and see them soar.  God Bless.

Join the party with : 
Ms. Fultz
http://msfultz.blogspot.com/





6 comments:

  1. Thank you for linking up! I couldn't agree more with #1. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christi. I enjoyed this Linky Party. Thanks for creating it.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE # 1! The best and most productive times in my classroom are when the kids are collaborating and working together! I agree that the less I try to "control" my room, the better management I have!

    Michaela
    The Center Based Classroom Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michaela, that is exactly how I feel. I love letting my students be themselves as they are learning. They never cease to amaze me.

      Delete
  3. I love that you say its okay to scrap ideas. I think this is so important. I teach with an amazing group of k teachers who all do things differently and its perfect because it gives us so many resources when we need them.

    Carrie
    BuzzIntoKinder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so true. If you feel like you can't scrap something you can go crazy. I love being able to adapt and work things to make it best for my students. Glad you found me Carrie. I hope to learn more about your teaching.

      Delete