Pages

Saturday, March 2, 2013

REVIEW THURSDAY!!!! OH JOY


Each Thursday in our classroom the students have come to love and expect REVIEW THURSDAY.  During review Thursday we spend our time going over our story of the week and the grammar that it includes.  Now I know what you're thinking, review Thursday sounds like just your typical day in elementary school.  But when my students see this....... the excitement begins.









The large slapper hands are compliments of a very dear friend who is retiring this year.  The cup has a stick for each child in the classroom.  Review begins as my co-teacher pulls two sticks from the cup, and each of these children receives a slapper.
Here you see two of my students getting the slappers.  Each time 2 numbers are drawn and slappers are in hand I ask a new question.

I begin each question slowly.  My students are poised ready to ring in with their slappers.  Once a slapper has been activated my question reciting comes to a stop and the student who signaled must come up with an answer. If they are unable to answer correctly their opponent gets a turn. I do not repeat the question.  They enjoy this and I have noticed it has improved their listening skills greatly.  
If the signaling student answers correctly they are rewarded with an M&M, or whatever other bag of candy I have for the week. 
We LOVE having REVIEW THURSDAY!
Hope you enjoyed this post.  Feel free to ask any questions or use these ideas for yourself.  

Tune in for my next post.
MATH JOURNALING

God bless you and yours this coming week!!!





4 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading your posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much. I appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet these slappers are a huge success with the kids! I like the idea of Review Thursday. I may have to start focusing more on review on Thursdays myself.
    Laura
    Oh, How Pintearesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's their favorite part. Sometimes I switch up and play the game with fly swatters. Also a huge hit!

      Delete