Pages

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Student Motivation Saturday: Linky


I am so glad I found this linky.  It is such a great way to get new ideas for sparking motivation in young learners.  Don't forget to stop by using the link below to join in and link to so many amazing educators.  I love getting and using new techniques with my little ones. Especially now that school is winding down and students are getting wound up for summer break. 

       
 I am a behavior fanatic.  I absolutely love helping and guiding students with behavior issues. In my classroom I try to harness my students' energy, talkative nature, and even behavior quirks to mold an atmosphere of acceptance and learning freedom.  

I give talking breaks when my students begin to lose attention and begin squirming, or  whispering to a neighbor.  I pose a question based on what we are learning and as my students to turn to a neighbor and share.  I listen intently and chime into several conversations before freezing and counting down from ten...10, 9, 8, 7, etc. By the time I get to zero, I have complete attention and we move on.  
                 
I also do similar things when we are working on something or reading along with a text.  I will chose times to stop, based on student ability to focus, and say "LOOK, LOOK, LOOK, Remember what you see, Turn to a neighbor and tell them 3."  My students love this share time and as I listen I can tell who has really been listening.  I have to say though, that I have been truly blessed with respectful students.  They love to help and are eager to learn.

Dollar Tree is my best friend and I find treasures there all the time. 
This treasure is turning out to be a wonderful tool for behavior on tricky days.

I have 4 of these and I keep them at my desk.  I chose students, at random, who exhibit outstanding behavior or academics to chose a cone. They place the cone on their desk and trade it with me for a reward.  I may purchase them a snack, or a small Dollar Store goodie in return for their achievement.  I do not pass out the cones every day.  My students know that I have them and never know when someone will earn one.  This helps them to remain on task. As students earn them I have noticed others praising them and being so encouraging. They love choosing one and getting the honor of having their desk stand out.  

I hope you found something here that will help. I can't wait to read more ideas and tips through this linky. Enjoy and God Bless.  


4 comments:

  1. Hi! I just found your blog through Joanne's linky! I love the idea of the cones. Your statement, "In my classroom I try to harness my students' energy, talkative nature, and even behavior quirks to mold an atmosphere of acceptance and learning freedom," summed up just how I feel too. Great post!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly! Glad you found me. I look forward to checking out your blog. Enjoy the rest of the year!

      Delete
  2. First of all, thank you for the kind introduction to the linky! :O) I love the talk breaks, even as teachers we need time to talk too! We're the worst talkers aren't we??!! I enjoyed your detailed post! Thanks for coming to my party girl and I'm your newest follower!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne. I had such a wonderful time reading through posts in this linky. So many great ideas. I learned some wonderful techniques that I can't wait to try. :)

      Delete